12 SEPTEMBER, 2017
For Adam Thompson, Commercial Director at Rebel Kitchen, eating well is one of the best things you can do to manage stress and enhance workplace performance. “We underestimate how much of an effect what we eat has on our mood”, he says. According to Harvard Business Review, food has a direct impact on our cognitive performance. The brain needs energy to function, which is why when we’re running low on glucose, we find it difficult to stay focused. Making the right choices about food can help us stay sharp, motivated and productive throughout the day. So here are a few tips to help you eat your way to success!
- Don’t skip meals. When your schedule is packed, making time for food is sometimes the first thing to go. To reduce stress, make your meal your break. Avoid eating lunch at your desk: not having a proper lunch break — one spent AWAY from your desk — actually reduces productivity. As HuffPost editor Alyssa Spatola says, “the world will not end because you ate a salad outside.” In fact, physical movement, a change of environment and a break from the monotony of endless hours at your desk gives your brain the chance to reboot. You’ll come back with a fresher perspective.
- Snack smart. Spikes and slumps in blood sugar are bad for the brain and bad for productivity. Adam at Rebel always has nuts on hand as a healthy snack. Not only do they curb your appetite (meaning you can focus on the task at hand rather than those pesky hunger pangs!), they also play a role in maintaining brain health and contribute to better cognitive function, thanks to their nutrient profile.
- Eat your 7 a day. A study in the British Journal of Health Psychology concluded that the more fruits and vegetables people consumed (up to 7 portions), the happier, more engaged and more creative they tended to be. Fruits and vegetables contain vital nutrients that promote the production of dopamine, which plays a key role in the experience of curiosity, motivation and engagement. They’re also full of antioxidants that reduce inflammation, improve memory and enhance mood.
- Reduce your consumption of foods that put extra stress on the body. We’re talking refined sugars, alcohol and caffeine. Try switching coffee for antioxidant-rich green tea.
- Hydrate!! Drinking water throughout the day relieves fatigue, reduces headaches and improves concentration. Agora has the perfect tool to help you stay hydrated on the go — the Agora-GiveMeTap water bottle!! Agora is so excited to be partnering with GiveMeTap — an ingenious, ethical and inspiring business started by a man on a mission, Edwin Broni-Mensah. Each bottle you buy gives a person in Africa 5 years of clean drinking water, so you can make a real difference whilst staying super healthy and reducing plastic bottle waste! Plus you get free access to water refills from local cafes/restaurants! We only need 11 more to be sold to get them into production, so please go ahead and buy yours here!
As you know, Agora is all about balance, so remember — there’s nothing wrong with a bit of what you fancy! Here at Agora we LOVE dark chocolate. With more antioxidants than even blueberries, it reduces the stress hormone cortisol and boosts brain power — the ultimate health-giving treat! And apparently a glass of red wine is the equivalent to an hour at the gym…who are we to argue? Succeed, live well, have fun!
Originally published at agoraworld.one.